Please Register to start posting and ask questions we here to serve You better
Long live Uganda!!!

GOVERNMENT PLOTTING TO KIDNAP, KILL ME - LORD MAYOR LUKWAGO

Go down

GOVERNMENT PLOTTING TO KIDNAP, KILL ME - LORD MAYOR LUKWAGO

Post by sol_drethedon on Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:36 pm

Government plotting to kidnap, kill me - Lord Mayor Lukwago

KAMPALA

Kampala Lord Mayor Erias Lukwago has tasked the government to either investigate an alleged plot to kidnap and kill him, lest he takes it that the purported scheme is the brainchild of the police.

On Sunday, the police, citing “intelligence information”, sent out messages indicating that the Lord Mayor’s security was under threat by “negative elements” and subsequently re-deployed police guards at his Rubaga-based home.

Mr Lukwago had earlier let-off police guards, saying he could not afford to maintain them since Kampala Capital City Authority had declined to remit his Shs16 million monthly salary and denied him access to the Mayor’s Parlour.

Addressing a press conference at his home yesterday, Mr Lukwago charged Gen Kale Kayihura, the Inspector General of Police, to conduct an investigation into the conspiracy if his [Lukwago’s] suspicions about the force having a hand in the plot are to be dispelled. “The moment police get such information, they have to act on it and find out who is planning it and how they are planning to execute it. But right now, it is just a myth. This is a heinous crime. My family is in panic mode,” he said.

Yesterday, police also blocked a meeting called by Mr Lukwago to chart a way forward about the impasse triggered by a censure vote passed against him by the KCCA council on November 15 last year.

The Lord Mayor and a host of MPs indicated that police “brutality” at St Matia Mulumba Church forced them to postpone the meeting to Thursday at a venue yet to be announced.

In a telephone interview yesterday, Mr Patrick Onyango, the deputy police spokesperson, said a “preliminary investigation” had been launched into the scheme but was non-committal about when a report would be released, saying “intelligence had not briefed him” on the timeline. “We are looking at intelligence information that their group is planning to stage-manage a kidnap and then blame the government for that,” Mr Onyango said.

Mukono Municipality MP Betty Nambooze drew parallels to a 2008 incident when she was arrested alongside then Buganda ministers Medard Lubega Ssegona and Charles Peter Mayiga and separately taken to different places in Western Uganda. The trio was critical of a Land law that was forced through Parliament by the government.

sol_drethedon

Back to top Go down