New kampala.net
Please Register to start posting and ask questions we here to serve You better
Long live Uganda!!!

First CDMA operator launches Uganda operations

View previous topic View next topic Go down

First CDMA operator launches Uganda operations

Post by Admin on Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:40 pm

The first Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) mobile telephone operator in Uganda, I-telecom, has launched operations in Uganda's highly competitive telecommunications market.

The first Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) mobile telephone operator in Uganda, I-telecom, has launched operations in Uganda's highly competitive telecommunications market.

The move brings the number of mobile telephone operators in the country to six. I-telecom has initially invested some US$30 million in its Uganda operation, which apparently covers only half of the country, according to Augustine Mulenga, the company's CEO.

"Our investment will rise to more than $100 million over the next 18 months, when we hope to have expanded coverage to reach the entire country," Mulenga said in an interview.

Mulenga said I-telecom is anchored on the latest CDMA platform, which performs faster than the GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) platform. The other operators in the country operate on the GSM platform, the preferred platform in this part of the world.

"We promise our subscribers that we shall bring to them the best products and services in voice and data networks and solutions," Mulenga said.

Mulenga said I-telecom will employ EVDO (Evolution-Data Optimized) technology, which also enables high speed wireless broadband connectivity.

I-telecom has been testing its service with about 1,000 subscribers for the last 11 months from across the country from east to west.

Mulenga said that their company was way above other players in the market because of the technology they are using. I-telecom has apparently entered the market with the cheapest call offerings. While a call, especially using the large players, today costs about $0.20 cents at peak hours, I-telecom has come into the market with a call priced at about $0.12 at peak time.

He added that I-telecom has been testing its services with about 1,000 customers.

Asked how he intends to survive in a brutal market that analysts have described as saturated, Mulenga said there was still room for business.

"Uganda has a population of more than 30 million. And about 55 percent of this population is actively working but the telecom industry is just jostling for 8-10 million people. It means that we have an opportunity to command and bring on board customers that other operators have not been able to attract," Mulenga said.

I-telecom is a joint venture between local Uganda investors with investors from southern Sudan.
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.newkampala.net

Back to top Go down

The following are the CDMA Benefits as stated by CDG

Post by Admin on Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:07 pm

The CDG states that CDMA systems have seven advantages over other cellular radio transmission techniques. (GSM and IS-136 operators will contest this list.) CDG says benefits are:

1.Capacity increases of 8 to 10 times that of an AMPS analog system and 4 to 5 times that of a GSM system
2.Improved call quality, with better and more consistent sound as compared to AMPS systems
3.Simplified system planning through the use of the same frequency in every sector of every cell
4.Enhanced privacy
5.Improved coverage characteristics, allowing for the possibility of fewer cell sites
6.Increased talk time for portables
7.Bandwidth on demand
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Re: First CDMA operator launches Uganda operations

Post by vectorsd on Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:37 pm

Excited to learn that Uganda now have a CDMA operator. What an exciting access network. Is I-Telecom using RUIM cards or NV only?

vectorsd

Back to top Go down

Post by avatar on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:44 pm

@ vectorsd welcome to the forum dude the ceo said they have both

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:00 pm

Additional to that more emphasis is R-UIM Removable user identification module bse of changing technlogy the wcdma rising adopted from japan hope you know that.
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by vectorsd on Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:40 pm

If I-Telecom is the first CDMA operator in Uganda, where you have 6 GSM operators; What is the strategy of luring the subscribers of the GSM network to buy new handsets for them to access the newly launched CDMA network by I-Telecom?
Again what is the frequency band being used by I-Telecom?

vectorsd

Back to top Go down

Post by hacker739 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 pm

@ vectorsd its using CDMA 2000 1*850/1900 MHz but planning to launch dual band cdma phones GSM900/1800Mhz or 850/1900 Mhz by this
one usim and ruim card to fit in the hot market
hacker739

Back to top Go down

Post by sungula on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:42 pm

Guys just get ready for this nalongo
1.CDMA 800MHZ+ GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHZ
2.dual SIM card and dual standby
3.2.4'',handwritten screen
4.CDMA mobile phone... imate

sungula

Back to top Go down